Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diy job gone wrong?????

In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 05/06/14 20:00, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"harryagain" writes:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/...Kings-Norton-c
ollapses-destroys-half-a-home

The BBC report has a 'before' picture (from google streetview)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-27683140

Looks to me by the size of the girders that the house was built or
modified to be very open plan.

My theory is someone opened a wall right under a girder support pad
without thinking/realising.

Once one fell out, as can be seen in the Express piccies) enough other
crap fell down to take out most of the end walls.

The mortar does not seem well attached to the bricks. I wonder if the
cement used in the original construction was up to spec.

Building construction doesn't (or at least, shouldn't) rely on
mortar to 'glue' bricks together. Actually, it would be more
accurate to say the mortar keeps the bricks apart - keeping them
stable under the influence of gravity.

--
Andrew Gabriel