Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Alright, swampers

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 21:18:09 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 17:17:11 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:28:39 -0700, SteveB
wrote:

I'm putting up two on my shop. Are the devices that dump the water
every day worth the $40? Do they work? Any other devices that
work and are worth the money?

Steve,

I'm not sure what devices you are talking about or how they work.
Perhaps evaporation in the hot summer will work just as well?

He's talking about evaporative cooling units . They pump water from
a sump at the bottom over a fiber pad , then suck air thru same pad
to cool by evaporation . Most units will have 3 pads and the outlet
on the 4th side . Better ones will have a float valve to maintain
water level in the sump . What Steve is talking about is a device
that drains the sump daily , which probably helps keep mineral
deposits out of the pump and off the pads . FWIW Steve , you can
probably use a light timer to actuate a solenoid daily and save a
wad of money . Use dual relays and a dashpot delay on the end of
cycle to let the supply water run a minute or two to rinse the sump
before the drain valve closes .

Jesus, Jose' and Maria! I'm familiar with swamp coolers. Steve and I
live in the same county, only miles apart. He may be talking about his
place in Utah, too. I doubt that, as his shop he built (from several
shipping containers) is most likely here where we live. We've
discussed swamp coolers here before.

All I was saying is that I'm not familiar with the device he talks
about. Shucks, a pet-cock valve will drain water, too. Maybe just used
in winter in Utah.

I'd like to see this "device" he asked about. I could learn something.

Well exxxccuuuuuUUUuuuse me ! I didn't know , and the way your question was
worded ... Anyway , I grew up out there , a bit north of "y'all" near
Potato Country . The biggest thing I don't much like about The South is the
humidity . Swampers don't work well in 90% RH ...
And I'm betting that Steve's device is just a timer-actuated dump valve ,
probably tied to an inlet cutoff . Hmmm, I wonder if a sensor could be
rigged up to dump when a certain concentration/threshold of precipitable
compounds is reached . Probably be easy to program for someone into that
level of computing .

A swamp cooler is mostly worthless here with even 40% humility. I'm
still curious about this device. Don't get upset, just tell me what it
is. And where exactly is this "potato country" you grew up in.

Steve has yet to tell me what this device is, And I'd like to know.
Don't you live in East Memphis, Arkansas? Maybe I'm confused.