Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Glary Free File Recovery Giveaway

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 01:34:13 +0200, nestork
wrote:

'Oren[_2_ Wrote:
;3244945']
An ISO image would be a solution, I agree. I don't think Nestor has
tried that yet.

I haven't tried it because I don't know how to try it.

But, he11, in the final analysis I'd ideally like to have access to the
installation program itself so I have the flexibility to use it when I
want, to load it on different computers and to reload it when and where
I want.

I'm thinking that if I image my hard drive, then I'll lose all that
software if something expensive goes wrong with my computer so that I
end up having to buy a new computer. I'm presuming the image of the
hard disk on one computer can't be pasted onto a different hard drive in
a different computer, can it?

Nestor,

I haven't done it for near two decades. It can still be done today.

You build an ISO image that has never been installed. Using the
original authentic install disk, Service packs, etc., include current
drivers, used software, and any possible thing you can think of.

This is called "slipstreaming", essentially a custom ISO image file.
Burned to disk / DVD and / or bootable.. Install the OS, execute the
files in order of necessity, add programs that you own, use, etc.
Basically you are building an image of "everything you need" for a new
and clean install.

For example. I have an authentic Win7 7 SP1 image (never installed).
From that I can slipstream any file I need on disk into a new ISO
image.

Okay I'm getting in the tall grass, but check into slipstreaming an
image ISO file.

One link is this: (there are others)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/creating-an-xp-sp3-slipstreamed-iso-file/1848

https://tinyurl.com/7bkhygz