Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Dual water heaters - can I disable one?

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 05:56:12 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 04:34:27 -0400, Jimbo wrote:

On 06/03/2014 12:15 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

The two heaters appear to be plumbed in parallel rather than series. Can I
turn off the cold water inlet valve on one heater and unplug it to save some
electric power? Do I need to drain the heater that I won't be using? Should
I take the extra step of connecting the inlet pipe to the outlet pipe, (on
the plumbing side, not the heater side), in order to completely bypass that
heater? What else might I be missing?

I'd test running on one heater for a week or so.
Then I'd drain and remove the unused one.

I've flush it, drain it, and shut the valves off. Kill the power, of
course. If the space is not a problem, you'd have a spare ready to go
when the other one fails.

Absoluely don't remove a good WH. Besides the one in use failing, what
if four people drop in to visit you, your family or refugees from a fire
or flood? Even if they live in a camper outside, you might want them to
take hot showers inside.