Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default How Do I Fix A Bad Hydroseed Job

On 6/3/2014 7:03 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Last fall they dug up a section of our front lawn to replace the gas
service. This winter the town plow did its usual fine job of tearing up the
front 6 feet of our lawn near the road. A contractor for the utility came
by a few weeks ago, raked it all out, added some top soil and hydroseeded
the area. We're talking about roughly 1000 sq ft. Everything was done to my
satisfaction - other than the hydroseeding.

After about 10 days of twice-a-day watering, it is readily apparent that
they applied the hydroseed very unevenly. There are bare spots and thin
spots all across the area they "fixed". I now have to add seed to fill it
in. The new grass is about 3" tall, almost ready to be mowed, but I now
have to over seed most of the same area.

What's the best way to fix this? Seed and keep watering twice a day even
though I won't be able to mow? Can I use starter fertilizer or will that
hurt the grass that has already come in? Should I care about the existing
new grass or should I just seed and fertilize as if it was bare?

Since the roots can't be too deep I guess I could just rake it all under
and start over, letting the existing thin grass feed the new seed. Good
idea, bad idea or waste of time?

Call the utility co up and complain. They usually hold their contractors
toes to the fire. The Verizon guy left ruts in my lawn where the turnround
is. I called and complained and the next day it was all fixed and it's the
best grass at this old dump.

The yearly repair of snowplow damage would be tiresome by the second
time! I'd pester the town fathers to fix something....steer the plow
so's it doesn't scrape up the soil, put in curb, put in temp. reflective
marker where the edge of the lawn goes? I dunno. Ought to be a better
way ;o)

Our thirty-something inches of snow this year crushed/smothered some
grass, but the drivers know where the lawn is. They did a pretty good
job of hiding our mailbox, tho. There is always a drift right in front
of our garage door, and by next year I'll be too old to shovel it.

Now I'm waiting for RAIN! Damn....all kinds of flowers and veggies
going wilty two days after thorough watering. Weather forecast keeps
saying 50% chance of rain....I'll quit watching and just flip a coin.