Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W[_3_] Larry W[_3_] is offline

Default Long hole

In article ,
SteveB wrote:
I want to drill long ways through a 4 x 12, then as far as I can into
another. I want to then insert a piece of rebar in the hole. I
estimate the hole will be 24" deep. Are there 5/8" bits this long?

Steve

Irwin (and other companies I'm sure) make augers and drill bits at lease
30 inches long.
http://www.irwin.com/uploads/documen...ling_eBook.pdf

The challenge is drilling straight through the 4x12 and staying on center.
An alternative I've used for similar jobs with smaller stock is to rip
the board, route a channel, then glue it back together. It shouldn't be
too tough to get the bit to come out the other end without breaking
through one of the sides, but if you need it to be precisely on center
it may be a problem.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)