nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Default OT-Way to arrange my computer business

I'm not very computer savvy, but there seems to be lots of people in here who are. I'm wanting their input as to whether or not the way I have things set up is good, or could be improved without making a lot of changes or learning new programs or software.

I have two computers connected to a KVM switch that allows me to operate them both from a single keyboard and mouse.

One computer is used entirely for my business and the other is used mostly for surfing the internet, including posting and reading posts on this site. If I get a virus on my surfing computer, I simply format the hard disk and reload Windows XP, IE6 and my bookmarks. Takes about a half of a Saturday. I rarely go online with my business computer, and I never use it to surf sites that have a high likelihood of putting malware on my computer, like porn sites. It's important to me to minimize the possibility of getting any kind of virus or malware on my business computer that may destroy my files or screw up my business until I reformat the hard drive on my business computer and reload all of the software and files I use.

I've downloaded "Dropbox", which is a freeware program that allows users 2 GB of data storage in the "clowd". With Dropbox, I can go to their web site, sign in with my e-mail address and password and I have access to everything I put into storage on their web site.

So, what I intend to do is this:
1. At the end of every month or so, copy all the files on my business computer (which is only about 300 MB in all) onto a USB drive.
2. Plug that USB drive into my surfing computer and upload all those files onto my 2 GB of space on www.dropbox.com's web site storage.

That way, if anything happens to the hard drive on my business computer, I have all my files both on the USB drive and on Dropbox's web site.

And, there's still no chance of getting a virus on my business computer unless and until I have to download a file from Dropbox's web site, and I can download those files onto my surfing computer instead of my business computer to check that they work properly and don't make my surfing computer do anything funny. I use MS Works v.4.0 to do all my business because it has a word processor, spread sheet and data base, and I'm pretty familiar with using all of these, and that's pretty much all a small business like mine needs.

I think that's a pretty good way to back up my business files because the Dropbox program checks all the new files being uploaded, and if they haven't changed, it doesn't upload them. It only updates files that are new or have changed since the last time they were uploaded. Also, the data flow is always from the business computer to the surfing computer to the clowd, never the other way (except if my business computer crashes) so there's still no chance of getting a virus on my business computer.

What do the computer gurus in here think of that gameplan?

Also, is anyone in here familiar with the Dropbox program?

Last edited by nestork : June 3rd 14 at 01:47 AM