Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wifi thermometers

On Monday, November 11, 2013 2:55:06 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 11/11/2013 6:42 AM, wrote:

On Monday, November 11, 2013 2:15:10 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:

OK, I can see that a thermostat that allows me to monitor the

temperature in my house from anywhere in the world will save me a few

sleepless nights not knowing if I'm going to come home to a frozen house

because the furnace died while I was away. Ditto if I had hot water

heat and the house froze because the circulating pump stopped

circulating.

But, what on this Good Earth would anyone use an internet ready

thermostat for besides that?

That is, once you find out that the temperature in your house is 75

degrees F, so that you're confident that nothing is wrong, what more

would you do with an internet ready thermostat?

I just never had anything like that, and I expect the reason I never

took interest in it was that I could never see the point in it.

One very nice thing is that you can change the temperature

from anywhere. If you're going away on a trip in winter, you

can set the temp to 50F. When you land at the airport, you

can turn it up to 70F and the house will be warm when you get

home. Or if you leave and forget to turn it down, you can

check and do it remotely. Or if you're in business, have a

varying schedule and aren't sure when you'll be back, you

could keep the temp set low, then turn it up when headed back.

I'm all for convenience, but are you really unable to endure

the 10 minutes it takes the air in your house to reach 70F?

Maybe it's just me. I think that most people shouldn't have

cellphones. It's just an excuse to go thru life without a plan

and the attention span of a gnat

wasting my time waiting on you. Calling to tell me you'll be

late is no less wasteful of my time. Be there when you said

you would, and you won't need a damn cellphone.

Heh, I know it's a post from last year, but I just happened to
see this. IDK how big your house or furnace are, but you sure
can't raise the typical house from 50F to 70F in 10 mins in
winter. And if you can, you have a very oversized furnace,
which isn't good. It would take more than two hours to raise
mine that much and I think that's typical.