Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P IGot2P is offline

Default Digital box w/o paying ransom

On 6/1/2014 12:06 AM, Ron wrote:
On 6/1/2014 12:31 AM, IGot2P wrote:
On 5/31/2014 7:37 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:33:19 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:03:24 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

If I ever get cable again, I don't want to be held hostage to big
monthly rentals for Verizon's digital box.

Ditto on the cable card. It's the only way I know of to get cable
without the cable company box.

What am I missing? We have cable and it is simply a coax wire that comes
into our house that I have then run into a amp/distributor that services
every room in our house (three floors)...no box or boxes anywhere. This
is the way it was done when the home was built and it is still this way.
Are the boxes just for recording (which we don't do) or what?

Which cable company? Very few cable companies are still running analog
with local digital. My company went to complete digital last month.

Our provider is Starwest which you can find at http://starwestcable.com/
.. We pay $439.45 plus tax per year and you can find our channel lineup
at http://tinyurl.com/psdvml6 . Of course we could get more channels if
we wanted them but we don't. This is the only provider in our rural area
and they do not offer Internet thus we have to get DSL from the phone
company. It is my understanding that our $36.62 per month is quite
reasonable but for us it is not really a bargain because we simply don't
use it very much.