Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaky Compression Sillcocks for Washing Machine. Any reason not to solder on Sillcocks?

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 06:26:24 -0700, sms
wrote:

Yesterday my tenants had a new washing machine delivered. The sillcocks
were leaking after they were turned off and back on the installer tried
to fix them but couldn't. So the tenant went and bought new ones but
could not get the compression sleeve off the pipe. I went over and then
I bought a compression sleeve puller at Lowe's
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=120988-943-03875. I
removed the old sleeves, cleaned the pipes with 00 steel wool, and put
on the new sillcocks with new sleeves.

They leak. Maybe one drop every 30 seconds.

So I was thinking of soldering on sillcocks instead, i.e.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G4072695/?category=7210.

Is there some reason that this is a bad idea? Why wouldn't a builder do
this in the first place?

Or is there some way to keep the compression sleeve sillcocks from leaking?

Put the compression fittings on with lock-tite thread sealer?
Soldered on works better, but you need to know what you are doing to
make a good joint - and avoid melting the seals in the faucet. Best
method is to get thread-on faucets and salder a threaded adapter to
the copper pipes, then thread on the new faucet with thread sealer on
the threads (teflon tape or pipe dope) Then they are easy to replace
later.