Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Laptop battery not charging

On 01/06/2014 16:31, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Hi,

this looks a little strange:

My laptop battery today has stopped charging. If you connect the PSU,
it will charge for about 20 seconds, then stop, but the machine then
runs on the battery, not the PSU.
Every time you remove the PSU cable and re-insert it, it will again
charge for about 20 seconds before stopping and again running on the
battery.

It is not the PSU socket, as the same thing happens if you remove the
PSU's mains supply instead.
I have tried another PSU, exactly the same.

I have removed the battery, and the laptop is happily running on the PSU.

Why would the laptop run on the (faulty?) battery rather than just
switch to the PSU?
It was saying it was charged to 60%.

Any tests I can do to see if it is is the battery, or something in the
laptop?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Are there any pics in wwwland where someone has broken into the same
battery type and found exactly where the supervisor chip lurks?