Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Soft toilet seat.

On 6/1/2014 4:29 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Get a Kohler soft close and it will be comfortable and last a long
time. I like the way you can just tap it and it drops slowly and noise
free. Look for a Kohler Q3 seat

If you want the best and easiest, get a comfort height toilet with
elongated bowl.

Hate the comfort height. My parents had one. I had trouble getting off
of it. And husband has a 24" inseam. So that wouldn't work for him,
methinks.

Being short, it may not be the best option, but the elongated bowl is
still better.

But I will look for those brands. We currently have pretty
cheap toilets but they work. Can only use one ply paper. His would
flush anything for a while but now it clogs like mine does if we use 2
ply. That's probably some sort of deeper issue. But for the time
being, we have two good plungers and we buy 1 ply by the case.

Unless it is a sewer issue, it can just be the fact tht old toilets do
show age. The holes around the rim can be getting clogged on the
inside, the trap has buildup, etc. Most new toilets can easily move a
lot of solids in a couple of seconds with little water. Expect to pay
$400 or so.

Perhaps one day we will redo the bathrooms. I would sure like to get
rid of my giant, jetted tub and replace it with some kind of small
soaking tub which we would likely still never use except for doing hand
wash. And I would like to get rid of that idiotic wedge shaped piece of
wall to wall carpet in there and get a better looking floor.

Carpet like that does not belong in a bathroom. No way to properly
clean it. Sheet goods or tile with a throw rug is the way to go.

I got rid of the tub altogether. We now have a 32 x 60 shower with
glass door, two spray heads, grab bars and is all tile. The bathrooms
has tile on the rest of the walls about 50" high. Jut finished the
upstairs and now starting the downstairs. Cost for a first rate remodel
was $12k. You can spend more though.

Would love to have one of those
somewhat new bowl sinks. The ones that sit up off of the counter. Ah,
dream on.

They look nice, but do not seem practical. We have a one piece vanity
top and it is easy to clean. Any water splashed is easily directed to
the sink.
http://www.theswancorp.com/index.php?prod=496

This is why I like to rent! Sure you don't get a lot of options but
you also don't have to fix anything. And unless I win the lottery or
something, I'll never have my dream home. I just have to keep the one I
have from falling apart.

I've never rented. Bought my first house when I was 20 and single, got
married a few months later. If you rent, you still pay for repairs as
part of the rent, but have no choice in anything. My house is the way I
want it and all good quality fixtures and appliances. The house is paid
for so I'm living cheaper with only taxes and insurance. Makes
retirement easier when I finally decide to.