Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Digital box w/o paying ransom

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:06:35 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
On 6/1/2014 12:31 AM, IGot2P wrote:

On 5/31/2014 7:37 PM, trader_4 wrote:

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:33:19 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 4:03:24 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

If I ever get cable again, I don't want to be held hostage to big

monthly rentals for Verizon's digital box.

Ditto on the cable card. It's the only way I know of to get cable

without the cable company box.

What am I missing? We have cable and it is simply a coax wire that comes

into our house that I have then run into a amp/distributor that services

every room in our house (three floors)...no box or boxes anywhere. This

is the way it was done when the home was built and it is still this way.

Are the boxes just for recording (which we don't do) or what?

Which cable company? Very few cable companies are still running analog

with local digital. My company went to complete digital last month.

Good question. And it hasn't been done that way, ie no cable box
required for cable, long before it went digital. At least not for the
typical cable service package that most people have, ie that includes some
of the many channels that you always had to have something more than
just the wire to access.