Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] misc4email@yahoo.com is offline

Default Attic wiring-Adding flooring

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:03:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Is it OK to drill round holes in the flooring where house wiring crosses the joists so that there is no pressure on the wires at those points?

Between the joists the wires would be pushed slightly below the flooring.

Thank you for advice.

Thanks to all, but only Micky seems to understand my intentions. I planned to have Home Depot cut a bunch of 4x8's in half to make 4x4's.
Then I will assemble the smaller pieces (much easier to get them up into the attic) into a tile-like arrangement with each piece straddling 3 joists which, by the way are 2x6's. Any place that a 'tile' covers a wire I will mark it and cut out a hole with approximately a 3" diameter. Just enough to expose the width of the joist including a little extra space for the NM cable to enter the hole on one side of the joist, go over the width of the joist and go back down into the hole on the other side of the joist.
Does anyone think this might work and might be compliant with NEC?
It seems to me that it is equivalent to running wood strips across all the joists and then fastening the flooring to those strips.