Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pcb design for beginners?

Stephen used his keyboard to write :
Hello,

Are there any web sites you recommend for teaching someone (me) about
pcb design or can you describe the process here?

What software is easy to learn for designing pcbs?

I know you can send your pcb design away and someone posts it back to
you; which companies do you recommend for this?

If you tried to make your own pcb by etching or uv, how do you go
about getting all the holes in the right places? Is it just a matter
of being very patient and careful with a pillar drill? That sounds
like a very monotonous job and the most tedious part of the process?

Thanks,
Stephen.

It all really depends upon the complexity and density of the PCB's you
intend to design. Single and double sided PCB's are possible DIY. You
can get free software which autoroutes, take a look at Eagle. You need
to be aware that autorouting may not always work and may need some
help. The actual etching again, can be done, but needs some practice on
simpler boards first.

Drilling poses no great problems, if you have the equiment to do it,
because etching leaves a hole in the copper to act as a guide.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)