Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Attic wiring-Adding flooring

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 11:03:41 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/31/2014 10:03 AM, wrote:

Is it OK to drill round holes in the flooring where house wiring crosses the joists so that there is no pressure on the wires at those points?

Between the joists the wires would be pushed slightly below the flooring.

Thank you for advice.

NO. cutting a notch or drilling a hole like that will weaker the

structure. Holes should be drilled through as close to the center as

possible.

If you have 2 x 8 beams and cut a 2" groove, you now have about the

strength of a 2 x 6. I think you'll find that a code violation too.

I agree with the general premise. But it sounds like
what he's talking about is the thickness of a Romex,
eg 1/4", not taking 2" out of a joist. If that's all there is and he covers it with a metal strike plate, I
could live with it. Or if there are a lot of instances
like this, he could nail some strips to the joists to
raise the flooring by 1 1/2, then nail flooring to that.
Maybe a lot higher than that, if it's in a cold/hot
climate where you need more insulation than you're going
to get in just a joist height thickeness.