Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

Default E10 (ethanol/ gas) and 2-cycle engines

wrote:
On Fri, 30 May 2014 13:14:50 -0500, jim "
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

I have been told in the past that ethanol was added to low grade
gasoline in order to make it suitable to burn in cars. And maybe
that's the difference. Lower grade gas that has added ethanol is
actually the culprit. When I use the ethanol free gas it is a higher
grade and so does not "gum up the works".
Eric

I don't know which came first, but my (unresearched) understanding is
that they can use a lower-grade gasoline to mix with ethanol because the
ethanol boosts the effective octane rating. It also is conventional
wisdom (again, unresearched on my part) that low-octane gasoline may be
low on detergents and other additives.

It costs money (and energy) to increase octane.
In the refinery business, selling a fuel that has higher
octane than the minimum required is called an "octane giveaway"

It is difficult to determine the actual value of ethanol in
motor fuel. The large quantity used means higher octane
components of gasoline are less valuable than they would be
if there was no ethanol used. That means the gasoline without
ethanol (usually premium grade) is cheaper than it would be
if there were no ethanol used. And if there were no ethanol
the price difference between regular and premium would be
higher because refiners would be required to reform a lot more
of the hydrocarbons into higher octane components.

I've seen estimates on what it would cost to produce
all the octane necessary without ethanol that
range from 5 to 50 cents a gallon.

And what does the ethanol cost?? Amd how much more would it cost
without the multiple subsidies???

Ethanol is about 50 cents less than the CBOB blend stock
last time I looked.

I think reforming would be just as "cheap"
---

---