Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default XP registry hack DO NOT USE IT

On 5/30/2014 10:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, May 30, 2014 8:45:21 AM UTC-4, philo wrote:
An XP registry hack was posted here to extend the updates on XP ,

The hack modified the registry to list the product version as XP embedded.

I tried it on my old XP machine which I don't use anymore and the first

time I tried to update XP the hack worked.

Now a week or so later I checked to see if more updates were available

and I got the "non genuine Windows" notification.

So to all those out there....DO NOT USE THE HACK!

I was able to get rid of the message by deleting the WGA keys but still

no updates are available so the hack is useless.

BTW: The modified keys are undeletable and System Restore will not work

so I will need to use a remote registry editor to get rid of those

unwanted keys.

For me this is not a big deal as I'm a computer experimenter and look at

this as fun...however most of you out there are not going to like this.

Ahh, I live for moments like this, ie to see Homelessguy exposed
as the village idiot. And it didn't take long. I would have thought
it could be some future update, 6 months or a year from now that would
probably screw it, but it only took less than a week!

With a hack like that, you've created a time bomb. You don't know when
and if the next update is going to screw the whole thing. And as others
have pointed out, not sure that there was ever much upside. Most of the
security holes have been shaken out of XP long ago. And many of those
were related to Internet Explorer. You can't run the last two versions
on XP anyway and I doubt MSFT is going to issue IE updates in the future
for an EOL IE through updates for their embedded products.

The latest version of IE is 11. IE 8 is the last version that would run
under Win XP. Just sayin'.