Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default XP registry hack DO NOT USE IT

philo wrote:
On 05/30/2014 09:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Ahh, I live for moments like this, ie to see Homelessguy
exposed
as the village idiot. And it didn't take long. I would
have thought
it could be some future update, 6 months or a year from
now that
would probably screw it, but it only took less than a
week!

With a hack like that, you've created a time bomb. You
don't know
when and if the next update is going to screw the whole
thing. And
as others have pointed out, not sure that there was ever
much
upside. Most of the security holes have been shaken out
of XP long
ago. And many of those were related to Internet
Explorer. You
can't run the last two versions on XP anyway and I doubt
MSFT is
going to issue IE updates in the future for an EOL IE
through
updates for their embedded products.

In all fairness, the version of Windows I had may not have
been
genuine...and I am sure many out there are in the same
boat...
but at any rate I wanted to issue the caution.

That said...to those using XP I don't know if Windows
updates do all
that much anyway as far as offering protection.

More importantly is

1) Common sense

Common sense would tell you not to trust anything that a
troll posts, especially a registry hack.
I can't believe how many actually trusted this idiot

2) Keeping AV and malware checkers updated and schedule
scans

3) Using a browser other than IE such as Firefox or Chrome
and keeping the browsers updated