Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default XP registry hack DO NOT USE IT

An XP registry hack was posted here to extend the updates on XP ,
The hack modified the registry to list the product version as XP embedded.

I tried it on my old XP machine which I don't use anymore and the first
time I tried to update XP the hack worked.

Now a week or so later I checked to see if more updates were available
and I got the "non genuine Windows" notification.

So to all those out there....DO NOT USE THE HACK!

I was able to get rid of the message by deleting the WGA keys but still
no updates are available so the hack is useless.

BTW: The modified keys are undeletable and System Restore will not work
so I will need to use a remote registry editor to get rid of those
unwanted keys.

For me this is not a big deal as I'm a computer experimenter and look at
this as fun...however most of you out there are not going to like this.