Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default E10 (ethanol/ gas) and 2-cycle engines

on Thu, 29 May 2014 09:25:13 -0700 (PDT) typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I was down at my local hardware / lawnmower shop getting a new chain for my Stihl.
(It was a cold winter, I thought I'd get a jump on the wood pile.)
They had these signs warning of the damage E10 ethanol fuels do to 2-cycle engines.
They wanted to sell me "special" ethanol free fuel at a huge markup.
First is this really a problem? I've been running my Stihl for years with basically no maintenance.
(The only thing I do is to run it dry at the end of my wood cutting season, so it doesn't sit all winter with gas in it.)
If it is a problem then why not just get ethanol free fuel at a gas station.
(there are a several in my area.)

Wondering what y'all do?

For me, I am fortunate to have an alcohol free gas station
"nearby".

My lawnmower's tank will dry out, so I run it dry, or near dry
before I put it away. But, first thing in the spring, filled from the
jug of pure gas (which had set in the shed over the winter) it fired
up with not a whole lot of difficulty.
I could not say the same with the prior jugs of "whatever is in
the pump" at Safeway.

The ethanol free gas web site is a big help.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp Otherwise, you are into "boutique"
gas in quart cans at the hardware store.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich