Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default E10 (ethanol/ gas) and 2-cycle engines

On Thu, 29 May 2014 09:25:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I was down at my local hardware / lawnmower shop getting a new chain for my Stihl.
(It was a cold winter, I thought I'd get a jump on the wood pile.)
They had these signs warning of the damage E10 ethanol fuels do to 2-cycle engines.
They wanted to sell me "special" ethanol free fuel at a huge markup.
First is this really a problem? I've been running my Stihl for years with basically no maintenance.
(The only thing I do is to run it dry at the end of my wood cutting season, so it doesn't sit all winter with gas in it.)
If it is a problem then why not just get ethanol free fuel at a gas station.
(there are a several in my area.)

Wondering what y'all do?

Thanks
George H.

My circa 1987 Stihl doesn't care. I don't drain it, run it dry, or use
Stabil, and it always starts with a couple pulls. It's not unusual for
it to sit idle for 6 months.

On the other hand, my little Yamaha inverter generator won't tolerate
sitting with fuel in the carb for more than a few months. But it's a
tiny 4-stroke.

--
Ned Simmons