Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default What are basic diagnostic tests on a Windows laptop that won't boot?

In message , Calia
writes:
On Tue, 27 May 2014 00:00:05 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I'd have some Kapton tape (like the yellow tape visible near
the top of the video around just after 7 minutes in) over the other
small components around:

I had never heard of this "kapton" tape!

Googling, I'm still not sure what it is, but it must be a great
insulator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapton

I must admit I was just using the name those who taught me PCB rework
used, though I _think_ it's correct. (The Wiki article doesn't mention
this specific use.) Though not perfect - the adhesive tends to weaken a
little under the great heat (and fair amount of wind!) required when
removing a largish chip - it does a pretty good job of protecting
(somewhat) the solder holding down the smaller adjacent components,
and/or holding those components in place if their holding solder _does_
get melted. The fact that it's transparent helps too: foil, as mentioned
by someone else in this thread, probably protects better, but you can't
see through it.

As we use it, it's on rolls, looking like thin brown "Sellotape" (UK -
Scotch tape I think US). I think the rolls shown in the Wiki article are
like it (though not sure if those ones have adhesive backing).
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.