Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Inline coolant filter?

On Tue, 27 May 2014 21:46:55 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

For machine coolant I use an ordinary household 9" filter sump with
the
basic 5 micron sediment filters and it works well. You mostly filter
chips and they don't clog it readily, and the household filters handle
plenty of GPM.

In a machine shop where I worked, the boss had set up all the grinders with
a common 'sock' filter just strapped onto the suction hose for the pump.

Worked fine.

Lloyd

Many or even most machine coolant pumps have a submerged impeller
assembly with no suction hose, which means filtering is generally done
on the output side. The $20 household filter sumps work well and since
the chips can typically just be cleaned out of the housing and rinsed
off the filter cartridge, the filter cartridge lasts a long time. I
looked at mesh strainer assemblies intended for crop sprayers and they
cost more and wouldn't work any better.

I installed high pressure coolant pumps at one of my clients shops.
They pump at 350 psi and needed a filter. So I put in a "chip
strainer" on the suction line (1.5" PVC) and it did a very nice job of
getting anything big enough to harm the pump OR plugging up the holes
in the drill bits we used. The holes tended to be about .015-.02

We picked 80 mesh baskets as thats almost .007 and was small enough to
pass only the small stuff.

Worked very well for the past 5 yrs. We did one..ran a nasty job on
it..and it worked so well that he paid for another 21 high pressure
pumps, hoses, filter units etc etc. About $750 each

The filters were cast iron bodies with a removable lid and a basket
inside that was very easy to remove, dump and install. One could do it
in about 60 seconds.

Gunner

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"