Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Zenith model 1203 "Tombstone" radio, (1938 I think)

On Tue, 27 May 2014, wrote:

I'm helping a friend with this. I was over to his house the other night
and he was showing me this beautiful old console radio. He told me that
he had paid someone to restore it some years ago. He said that among
other things they recapped it. The radio sounds great with a
surprisingly really hot front end. The only problem is that the volume
will only go down so far. In looking at the schematic as I had feared
the volume control R12 is a 2 Meg ohm part and looks like a tapped
control with four connections on it. Where exactly they'd tapped that
thing is anyone's guess.

Wasn't the tap there for a capacitor to ground, acting as a loudness
control?

If so, you'll just get different audio response at low volume, the radio
will work without it.

Michael