Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462009@gmail.com is offline

Default Zenith model 1203 "Tombstone" radio, (1938 I think)

I'm helping a friend with this. I was over to his house the other night and he was showing me this beautiful old console radio. He told me that he had paid someone to restore it some years ago. He said that among other things they recapped it. The radio sounds great with a surprisingly really hot front end. The only problem is that the volume will only go down so far. In looking at the schematic as I had feared the volume control R12 is a 2 Meg ohm part and looks like a tapped control with four connections on it. Where exactly they'd tapped that thing is anyone's guess.

We haven't pulled the chassis yet but I'll bet that either the control is bad or some homyok changed it, either eliminating the tap or Rube Goldberg'd
another one.

From the sound of it somehow that wiper, which goes through a cap to the
control grid of the 1st audio is not seeing ground when the control is
turned fully CCW.

If I need to I'm sure that I'll be able to come up with a control in my junk box with an audio taper somewhere between 500K and 2 Meg that would work, however the question is that tap. Can anyone venture a guess as to how far up from the low side of the wafer, (or down from the high side of the wafer) that tap would be? Thanks, Lenny