Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Pool Wiring Question

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:54:52 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:
On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 4:01:07 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:25:41 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Oren wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2014 18:55:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

A friend is having a heated pool installed. He has a breaker panel outside

near the pool. He was told that per NYS code, the wires that go run through

his basement from the exterior panel to the main panel must be run inside

rigid conduit. He said that they didn't use individual wires, they used

some type of jacketed cable that contains 4(?) wires and they ran that

inside grey plastic conduit. I haven't seen it, but I assume it's Schedule

40 PVC.

Another friend had a heated pool installed last year (also in NYS) and he

said that they didn't use conduit through his basement. They just stabled a

large cable to the joists.

So what's the story? Is the conduit required? If it is, is it specifically

related to the pool or is it because there's another panel involved?

Thanks.

I'm not an electrician so cannot offer advice. I suspect this is

related to 220V, exposed wire and water. My pool wires are in a

specific type of PVC pipe that has water tight fittings. They run

along the outside wall just below ground, the length of the house, to

the pump area. I'm sure the wires are in conduit to prevent any

possible cutting by say a shovel, etc.

I was asking about the wires that run _inside_ the house from where they

enter through the wall and run back to the main interior panel, not the

wires that run underground or from the exterior panel to pump/heater/etc.

There isn't anything in NEC that differentiates how a subpanel for

a pool is connected versus any other subpanel. There is no reason I

know of that says wires for a pool or anything else have to be run

in rigid conduit for a subpanel. Here, NJ, very typical to use

appropriate sized cable to go from the basement panel

to the pool subpanel, on the side of the house. If they had an

existing code compliant subpanel that the pool could run off, no

reason to go rework that with conduit inside the house, which is

what it looks like you;re saying they did.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. He did not have a panel outside the house until

the pool was installed. The panel was installed as part of the pool

installation. At the time the panel was installed, he was told that conduit

was required for the wires from that panel to the main panel.

I can say upfront that he wasn't being ripped off by the installer because

the installer is doing everything he can to save the homeowner some money.

The installer told my friend "if I buy the conduit, I have to mark it up.

Take this list. If all these conduit parts are here when I run the wires,

then I'll use it."

There may have been other circumstances in the situation. He has to protect the wire from the main to the sub-panel from damage. One way is conduit. Another way is to run it inside a wall. Possibly the conduit was cheaper. That's not specific to pools, you have to protect any exposed wire.

I've seen electricians in NY state run sheathed cable
without a conduit for a panel right along the outside
of a house for a whole separate service. A friend of mine
bought a rental property and he had another meter installed
so that the second floor had it's own meter. The licensed
electrician ran sheathed cable, otherwise unprotected, along the
outside of the house, about 4 ft off the ground most of the
way. I thought that was unsafe and should have been protected,
but apparently they do it in the Adirondacks.