Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Pool Wiring Question

On Tue, 27 May 2014 18:55:20 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

A friend is having a heated pool installed. He has a breaker panel outside
near the pool. He was told that per NYS code, the wires that go run through
his basement from the exterior panel to the main panel must be run inside
rigid conduit. He said that they didn't use individual wires, they used
some type of jacketed cable that contains 4(?) wires and they ran that
inside grey plastic conduit. I haven't seen it, but I assume it's Schedule
40 PVC.

Another friend had a heated pool installed last year (also in NYS) and he
said that they didn't use conduit through his basement. They just stabled a
large cable to the joists.

So what's the story? Is the conduit required? If it is, is it specifically
related to the pool or is it because there's another panel involved?

Thanks.

I'm not an electrician so cannot offer advice. I suspect this is
related to 220V, exposed wire and water. My pool wires are in a
specific type of PVC pipe that has water tight fittings. They run
along the outside wall just below ground, the length of the house, to
the pump area. I'm sure the wires are in conduit to prevent any
possible cutting by say a shovel, etc.

In Nevada, a contractor must have an additional contractor license to
install a pool. Based on codes for pool construction. Meaning, a
contractor has a license to build a house, but needs an additional
license for pool construction.