Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Logan 1100004-T lathe home

Karl Townsend wrote:

Going with Aloris or PhaseII?

Phase-II works for me.

I've only seen one PII, but it looked well designed and worked fine.

Phase II uses a piston to push out on the Aloris style holder. Only
the angled surface and the psiton make contact.

Phase II is available in both piston and wedge styles, and as of the
past year or so both are priced about the same. I have a piston style on
my older lathe from when the wedge type was $100 more, and my newer
lathe has the wedge type now that there isn't a price premium. Both work
fine and of course the holders interchange between them since they're
both "B" size.

the Aloris brand expands the Z taper with a wedge making full contact
on the entire Z area. WAY more rigid. May not make any difference on
light lathes with small cuts. Pour the coals to it with a heavy cut
and insert tooling; the difference is night and day.

Karl