Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default open circuit

trader_4 writes:
On Saturday, May 24, 2014 10:22:49 AM UTC-4, Frank Thompson wrote:
Circuit with two outlets is dead. Circuit breaker is ok. Outlet themsel=

ves are ok. Is there any device available that can give a precise locatio=
n of the problem? W/O such a device I would have to remove an entire insi=
de interior siding panel which is wrapped around a window and light. I wou=
ld prefer to locate the location of the problem and remove only a small se=
ction of the panel to access the problem.

Most likely it's not behind a wall. There shouldn't be any wiring connecti=
ons there if it was done to code. Far more likely the problem is a wire com=
ing

Last time I tracked one of these down, it _was_ behind the wall. A nail
from the exterior had pierced the romex and shorted N to G because the
electrician hadn't centered the through-hole on the face of the stud.