Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Paint formula changes

| And people are misled.
|
| Mislead by what exactly? And even if they are, why
| do you care?

Misled by the webpage format, not understanding
how Usenet works. I care because it wastes everyones'
time for people to answer 10 year old posts. Not least
of which is the person posting. Assuming cerda28 was
writing a sincere post, they've wasted their time more
than anyone else has. Why shouldn't I tell them?

| No, they just need to be able to use it. And any damn fool
| can respond to a 10 year old post with a newsreader too.

I don't assume the GG users are "damn fools". I'm guessing
it's simply a case of their only knowing Usenet through Google
reprints, so they neither understand how Usenet works nor
realize how awkward webpage format is for the medium. A lot
of younger people, especially, have never actually seen Usenet
in its real form, as a distinct protocol from http.

And I don't see how even a "damn fool" could respond to
a 10-year-old post using a newsreader. A newsreader displays
recent posts. Mine defaults to the most recent 300. If I could
see a post from 2004 it would probably take me 10 minutes
just to scroll that far. But I wouldn't, because the posts are
in order, so I could see perfectly well that those posts date
to 2004!
Have you ever used a newsreader yourself? They show
current posts, highlighting the ones you haven't read. They also
display in a "treeview", showing the order of posts in a thread,
so that people don't have to keep reposting the whole thread.
The layout provides a clear, immediate, graphical view of all
active conversations.
Webpage format flattens that into a long series of posts, with
no clear way to see who was posting to whom, and no way
to display the structure of posts in a thread. In short, newsreaders
are especially designed for Usenet. You might want to try one
out. I think you'll find they're far more appropriate than a
webpage layout, just as a Windows Explorer treeview is far
easier to work with than it would be to have a simple listbox,
listing every file on your computer in a single, long list.

| A couple days ago you were here bitching because someone
| put down Windows, claiming Linux was so superior and the
| only right solution.

As I recall you were agreeing with me. I wasn't "bitching".
He was making a cheap dig about Windows, but I wasn't
answering to that. I answered him because he was wrong
and his post was potentially misleading to the OP, implying that
Linux held the solution to the OP's dilemma.

| Now you're doing the same thing,
| ****ing and moaning about GG.

Bitching and ****ing and moaning? Do you feel you need
to stand up for GG? Do you really think it's better to just
leave cerda28 in ignorance? You're not doing him/her
any favors by not saying anything. If you were wasting
your time writing to people who aren't there, wouldn't you
want to be told?

(We might all start writing to people who aren't there one
of these days, but at least we don't have to do it while we
can still think clearly.