Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
pjp pjp is offline

Default What are basic diagnostic tests on a Windows laptop that won't boot?

In article , lid says...

On Mon, 26 May 2014 14:44:02 +0000, Wond wrote:

Before you have disassembled anything, shine a flashlight (electric torch)
at the screen, and watch closely as you power up. Maybe just the backlight has
failed.

I tried that, and saw nothing. Even in the dark.

I think the single blink of the numlock and capslock indicating a bad CPU
(or the power to it) is the issue.

Most people here seem to indicate that the CPU itself didn't fry, but,
that the solder joints honeycombed, and eventually cracked.

At least that's what I seem to have gotten so far out of the
conversation.

The manufacturer's site may have some info on what you "see" and "hear"
depending on what's wrong. Least used to be "x" beeps meant this and
"y" beeps meant that type idea, maybe lights do similar?

Internal power supply likely provides a number of leads with varying
power. Could be it's failed on one or more of them but not all hence see
leds lit on some keys?

Again an experienced shop would know how to test all that, I don't. I
also don't really like taking laptops apart IF I also have to put it
back together and have it run I solder with a blowtorch LOL