Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Calia Calia is offline

Default What are basic diagnostic tests on a Windows laptop that won'tboot?

On Sun, 25 May 2014 21:13:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
(Complete and accurate model numbers are always helpful).

My mistake. I apologize.

Inside the battery bay is the model & product number:
Model G72 B54NR
Product XR826UA#ABA

Usually, it's bad BGA chip soldering.

I had to look up Ball Grid Array, which, when I found what it
was, looked far beyond my capabilities.

Is there anything on the screen?

Nothing.

not, take a flashlight and shine it around the upper left of the
screen, where the BIOS boot messages appear

Tried that. Nothing that I can see.

HP Blinkenlighten codes:

Thanks Jeff.
I had no idea those keys were blinking a code!
I followed the procedure at the suggested location:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=1132551#N213

Basically, I removed the power & battery & discharged the computer
by holding the power button down for 30 seconds and then hooked
just the AC power but not the battery.

1. The AC adaptor light at the right side goes white.
2. The capslock & numlock light stays white (i.e., no blinking).
3. The F12 is a steady orange.
4. I press the POWER switch.
5. I hear the fan but not the HDD nor do I hear any beeping.
6. The AC adaptor light on the side of the PC stays white.
7. The capslock & numlock keys blink once for 1 1/2 seconds,
and then they go off for 4 1/2 seconds.
8. I can discern no other pattern than that 1.5:4.5 seconds!

The really bad news is that a single blink in the table reads:
"CPU not functional"

Is that as horrible as it sounds?