Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.hp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
pjp pjp is offline

Default What are basic diagnostic tests on a Windows laptop that won't boot?

In article , lid says...

On Mon, 26 May 2014 03:28:54 +0000, Calia wrote:

When I press the power switch, the fan goes on for what
I timed at 40 seconds. Then the fan goes off.

Actually, now that I have said that, my second timer run
shows the fan continually running.

So, to clarify, the only indications of anything working
are the fan runs continually, and a few LEDs light, as
stated prior.

Curiously, the hard disk drive LED light on the left
side does not seem to be lighting up at any point.

Ugh!!! I take it it's not under warranty? Even with the hard disk toast
I'd expect to see the display come alive. Has the power brick given up?
That's about only test I can suggest, e.g. is it providing 12 volts or
whatever. Try to find another rated more or less same and try it
instead.

Other than that if it's not under warranty and you can't find some
"specialty shop" deals with laptops almost exclusively you likely have
some parts is about it, e.g. hard disk can likely be used in some
enclosure as an external drive etc. Fact of the matter is cost of time
to repair likely comes close to cost of replacing. Sorry for your loss.