Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Generator

On Sat, 24 May 2014 22:19:54 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 5/24/2014 9:44 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 May 2014 19:35:50 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

[snip]

Check Reliance and some of the others. Pretty sure there are videos
that will walk you through it as well.

Depending on your panel, there is a much simpler solution, called an
"interlock" You add a backfeed breaker to the panel with a linkage
that prevents both the main and generator breaker from being closed at
the same time. You install the Generator breaker to reflect the
maximum capability of the generator. Advantage is you don'r have to
guess what circuits you MAY want to energize ahead of time. You can
still dissable certain circuits you do not want to be able to draw
from the generator. Connect the generator by hard-wire connection or
gen-cord exterior plug, same as with a transfer switch.

Point taken. In fact, I looked at that system but rejected it because I
did not have room on my 200amp panel to spare for the transfer circuit
breakers required.

IIRC, those lockouts were pretty expensive for what they were. By the
time you buy them and the related breakers, you're north of $125.

Compared to $500 for a transfer switch - and the labour to install is
significantly less too.
Still, it would be nice to have EVERY 120v circuit available.g

As well as 240 volt "limitted) power

Stripped bare to the basics, either the manual transfer switch or the
interlock can work quite well for the OP and that was my point. I'm
still kicking myself for the 30+ years I've lived her without a backup
generator to supply the house simply because I "assumed" it would be too
much to install the transfer switch.

BTW, I also run an umbilical to the detached garage and shop because of
the spare refrigerator and freezer out there. Had room on that 100amp
panel to do the interlock but found a used transfer switch (another
Reliance) locally on Craigslist for $50 which made it a no brainer.