Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Can I paint stainless steel?

On 5/25/2014 10:55 AM, HerHusband wrote:
I have a tripple wall chimney of stainless steel that I would like to
color black.
Can I paint stainless steel with high temp Rustoleum, or should I wrap
it with galvanized or aluinium and paint that?

I had to paint the lower part of my chimney that stuck down below the
ceiling. Mine is triple wall stainless too. I simply scuffed up the
outside of the pipe and sprayed it with the black paint used for repainting
woodstoves. It's a high temperature paint designed for that purpose. I
bought mine from the same place we bought our woodstove.

After ten years there is no sign of peeling or flaking. It still looks the
same as when I first painted it. Of course, that's indoors, I don't know
how well it would hold up outdoors.

Ditto. When we installed our wood stove (ca 1985) I used Metalbestos
insulated chimney which is stainless steel inside and out. That portion
of the insulated chimney below the cathedral ceiling is painted with the
same flat black, high temp paint used on the plain metal chimney
extending up from the wood stove. It's been painted ONCE and it still
looks just as good as the day it was painted.

Above the roof we did the same thing, only with Rustoleum, high temp
(for no particular reason), flat black and we've spray painted it about
four times during that same period. It really needs a recoat now but
it's probably been at least 12 years since I climbed up there (or had
the inclination to do so) to paint it. Maybe this yearg

In any event, the coverage is still about 85%.

I did no special prep on the SS other than to wipe it down with whatever
thinner was recommended to remove oils etc.