Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Dowel Jig: PART II

Greg Guarino wrote:

Here's how I remade the jig to do the second half of the drilling: the
128 mating holes in the "ladder" stiles:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/14285906933/

[Cheesy caption styles courtesy of Windows Movie Maker and my first
attempt at video editing. My daughter, and her better setup, were
otherwise occupied. ]

Don't sweat it Greg - I didn't find them to be cheesy... well, not too
cheesy, anyway...

Once I got the system down, drilling the holes was very quick. Not as
quick as the "rungs", as I had to line up the reference marks by eye,
but still pretty efficient. I think it took as much time to mark up
the locations as to do the actual drilling.

I had to be careful; since the pieces are in mirror-image sets and I
wanted to keep the same reference face, half of the pieces had to be
done in the opposite direction in the jig, with the "reminder" dowel
filling a different hole. I also put a flap of painter's tape over one
edge of the drill guide so I wouldn't absent-mindedly line up my marks
on the wrong one.

Good idea. Very well experienced here, at doing exactly that kind of
thing - after having carefully thought it through to make sure that I
wouldn't! I'm a big believer in the dummy approach. It took me a couple of
passes through your video to figure out how you were indexing since I
couldn't see any of your layout lines on the stock.

It's really good to see you investing the time to create a good,
multi-function jig with all of the right components. I can take short cuts
in that area and even if it does not cost me in production, it's not as
elegant and often not as efficient as what you've done. I really have to go
to HF and just pick up a handful of clamps like that. You've inspired me...

--

-Mike-