Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Email from eBay

On 5/24/2014 9:02 PM, micky wrote:

I have a slot in the front door (It came with the house) so that I don't
have to cancel my mail when I go out of town. Fedex comes with an
overnight letter from my bank and leaves it on the stoop, tilted towards
the street, so anyone can see that it's there and take it. Especially
a little kid might like the bright red, white, and blue envelope. I
talked to four people at fedex and none will tell me if fedex has a
policy about mail slots. One said that each city gets to make its own
policies. Really? So they have no national policies? They can have a
different city policy that permits opening and reading what's inside?

They are allowed to use the slot, but not a box.
http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm/d041.htm

1.1Authorized Depository

Except as excluded by 1.2, every letterbox or other receptacle intended
or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any city delivery route,
rural delivery route, highway contract route, or other mail route is
designated an authorized depository for mail within the meaning of 18
USC 1702, 1705, 1708, and 1725.

1.2Exclusions

Door slots and nonlockable bins or troughs used with apartment house
mailboxes are not letterboxes within the meaning of 18 USC 1725 and are
not private mail receptacles for the standards for mailable matter not
bearing postage found in or on private mail receptacles. The post or
other support is not part of the receptacle.

1.3Use for Mail

Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for
matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part
of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing
postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached
to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter
not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same
postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.