Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default open circuit

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 1:29:30 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 5/24/2014 10:59 AM, Frank Thompson wrote:

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 10:41:47 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Most likely it's not behind a wall. There shouldn't be any wiring

connections there if it was done to code. Far more likely the

problem is a wire coming loose in one of the outlets, switches, etc

that it's daisy chained through that then feed the ones that are

out.

Find the other outlets/switches etc that are on that circuit, then

find the ones closest to the problem ones.

No other outlets or switches are on that circuit. This is in a 16 yo

structure. My guess is that pressure of one of staples attaching

wiring to stud finally touched hot wire, caused heating & hot wire

finally broke.

Seriously doubt that's the case IF the circuit breaker was not tripped.

To generate "heat" you describe means resistance. Resistance in that

form would mean short to ground which takes you full circle to tripped

circuit breaker.

Not necessarily. You could drive a nail or staple through
the cable, damaging it so that the conductor size is
reduced to the point that it can't handle the current and
overheats. That further damages it, and eventually it
burns out, leaving an open. No tripping in that case.
On the list of possibilities, I agree, it's far more likely
something else.... A wire nut that is poorly fastened can
do the same thing, heating up, ultimately failing open.

Circuit breakers DO crap out from time to time. Is this, by chance, an

outlet that gets tripped frequently? If so, I would definitely be

checking the circuit breaker as others have advised.