Posted to alt.home.repair
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Speaker repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message ...

I've got a lot of big, small and medium speakers that have blown out over
the years. Typically I take them to the attic where they usually make
pretty good bookshelf supports.

In the spirit of domestic harmony, I am cleaning out said attic (anyone
*really* refer to their old college texts or books they have read in the
past anymore?). So with all the books being "de-accessioned"
(librarian-speak for "thrown out") I am left with a lot of bowed knotty pine
planks and burned out speakers.

If they can be salvaged, I can use them, but if they're likely to just blow
out again, I will send them to the curb monster that comes by late at night
before trash day.

So my question is this. Is it worth repairing 10 or 20 year old speakers?
Can replacements be readily had?

Is there a good site for diagnosing speaker problems? I almost always
assume it's a fine wire winding in the voice coil that shorted when a
speaker no longer even responds to a battery "click" test but I that's an
assumption.

Is it possible to match the characteristics of the old speakers closely
enough without manufacturer info like a parts list?

Do crossover networks ever go bad? Can they be tested with a multimeter?

And yes, I googled it,

http://www.google.com/search?q=diagn...ms&btnG=Search

but I didn't like very many of the sites it revealed. I'll keep searching
but Google ain't what she used to be.

Hmm, should have added "blown" to the search term - much better. Still not
great, though.

Thanks in advance for your input.

--
Bobby G.

BG 65 years ago when doing radio and amplifiers repairs I replaced many
speaker cones.They were available then. To match up needed, diameter,
depth of cone,
coil diameter and impedance. Had set of shims (made for this purpose) to
center coil around the magnet. Glued coil to cone and cone to frame. This
saved finding matching speaker and saved customer some money. WW