Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default My gift to those of you still running Win-XP: The ability to getMicrosoft updates for 5 more years

On Friday, May 23, 2014 8:13:11 PM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:
trader_4 wrote in news:a3be908e-d8a0-425b-a1a2-

:

What we haven't

seen is anything to support your hypothesis that the updates for

embedded XP can be safely applied to XP for desktops

I'll bet nobody reading this thread or responding to it has actually tried

performing the above-mentioned updates.

Microsoft isn't dumb; I'll also bet that if you did try installing updates

meant for POS2009 onto desktop XP, the update files will refuse to install

on account of the desktop version being incorrect for the updates.

So. Anybody here who has actually DONE this? Not "going to do it", but

actually DONE it.

--

Tegger

Another problem that I pointed out previously is that
it's not exactly easy to even test it, nor is there a
current need. The last update that was needed for XP
was the recent security one and they provided that to all
XP customers, even though XP had been EOL'd a few weeks
before. So, if your XP PC is up to date, you don't have
any updates to download and try via the proposed hack
method. And if you do need any XP updates, all the existing
ones are still available. You can make your XP system 100%
up to date via the normal process. I only see two ways to
find out if this hack will work.

1 - Find a PC with XP that hasn't had at least the last update
that came out a few weeks ago, put the hack on it, then have
it do the update/updates. I'm not sure
that even proves it, because who knows if it's really applying
the updates from the "embedded XP updates" or just the normal ones
that any XP owner could do.

2 - Apply the hack and wait until MSFT issues an update someday
in the future for embedded XP, assuming that happens and see if
that update gets applied onto your XP PC and if it works.