Posted to rec.woodworking
Len[_4_] Len[_4_] is offline

Default sharpening and installing jointer knives

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:22:43 PM UTC-5, Len wrote:
It's been a long time since I tuned my jointer. Today, I noticed some "flat spots" on the knives. I removed and sharpened them using the scary sharp method and a Lee Valley blade holder for doing this. They are now sharp, but I didn't try to get them razor sharp because they won't hold that edge when jointing wood.

I installed the knives so that the difference in height across a blade is about .002 in. I then adjusted the blades so that the max difference for the 3 blades as they rotated on the cutter head was about .003 inches.

I then set the height of the tables and ran a test board of kiln dried poplar through. I does create a flat board, but I always listen for the sound of a machine as it runs. It sounds like the wood chipper I use when mulching garden and tree stuff in the Fall. The cutting depth was slightly less than 1/16 inch.

Is the jointer ok or,are the blades not sharp enough or, are the adjustment tolerances too generous?

Len

Problem solved. One of the knives moved when I tightened it and was up tooo high. It was doing all the work. After an hour of fiddling it sounds jusssst right!

Thanks for all the suggestions

Len