Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default My gift to those of you still running Win-XP: The ability to getMicrosoft updates for 5 more years

On Friday, May 23, 2014 12:42:29 PM UTC-4, Congoleum Breckenridge wrote:
On 5/23/2014 9:21 AM, trader_4 wrote: Enjoy.

But I can well imagine that the desktop version of XP and the POS

version differ in significant ways and that the updates for the POS

version may even have an adverse effect on the desktop version.

Perce

Just sit back and wait. If this really works, it will be all over the

'net in a couple of days.

The only problem is you won't know if it works or not for awhile
and never for sure. MSFT just issued an update for that latest security problem for XP, which occured just after they had EOL'd XP, but they
decided to do that one more for everyone anyway.
So, there are no new updates as of now that you can't get for XP home, pro etc
that would require you to bootleg the embedded XP version.
When any come, that's when you'd find out what happens. And then
only for each update, with no guarantee that the next update won't
cause some unknown problem.

What you're doing is saying OK, shove any future embedded XP updates
into my home XP system, whenever they happen to be released in the
future. I think potentially that is a more serious problem for a
system than not getting updates period. Particularly since as Mayayana
pointed out, a lot of security bugs have been in Internet Explorer,
the last two versions of that won't run on XP, and IE AFAIK, isn't
even a part of the embedded XP product.