Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default My gift to those of you still running Win-XP: The ability to get Microsoft updates for 5 more years

Even if it works, that would be risky. Microsoft has
no commitment to making sure their XP embedded
updates work on normal XP. Even then, it would only
be for security patches. Office programs are not licensed
to run on Embedded. That means the majority of patches
would be for IE8. But Microsoft has now stopped offering
security patches for IE8, and IE9+ won't install on XP.
(And anyone using IE8 has got bigger problems than
worrying about XP updates.)

Given all of those exceptions, I wonder how many, if
any, patches will come through for XP Embedded. And do
you really want to take a chance of frying your system?

Oddly, Microsoft is continuing XP updates to a number of
companies, and probably governments, who are willing to
pay for it. They're going to create, test and provide updates
to XP. They just won't let most of their paying customers
get them.

"HomeGuy" Home@Guy.com wrote in message
| Ok, I've been too hard on some of you.
|
| So for those of you that haven't caved to peer pressure and are still
| running Windows XP - a gift:
|
| The ability for you to continue to receive updates, patches and fixes
| directly from Microsoft via WindowsUpdate until the year 2019.
|
| This is no joke.
|
| Use notepad to copy the following and save as .reg file - and then run
| it (double-click the file).

| Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]