Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default My gift to those of you still running Win-XP: The ability to getMicrosoft updates for 5 more years

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:22:06 PM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 05/22/14 10:41 pm, HomeGuy wrote:

Ok, I've been too hard on some of you.

So for those of you that haven't caved to peer pressure and are still

running Windows XP - a gift:

The ability for you to continue to receive updates, patches and fixes

directly from Microsoft via WindowsUpdate until the year 2019.

This is no joke.

Use notepad to copy the following and save as .reg file - and then run

it (double-click the file).

==========

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\WindowsEmbedded\ProductVersion]

"FeaturePackVersion"="SP3"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS]

"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES]

"Installed"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

===========

Restart your computer, and make sure WindozeUpdate service is running.

You will see there are updates for you to install! And your XP PC will

continue to recieve MS patches until the year 2019.

This is for 32-bit XP. There is a different method for 64-bit version

of XP (by spoofing Windows 2003 server).

This trick works because for the purposes of WindowsUpdate, it makes WU

think you're running POS2009 (Point Of Service 2009) which is basically

XP for cash registers and other "point-of-service" PC's. Microsoft

provides update support for POS2009 until 2019.

Enjoy.

But I can well imagine that the desktop version of XP and the POS

version differ in significant ways and that the updates for the POS

version may even have an adverse effect on the desktop version.

Perce

Exactly what I thought. Homelessguy is proposing that
you put the updates for Microsoft's embedded version of
XP on your desktop PC. Just because they are built on the
same OS core doesn't mean that there aren't differences that
could cause a disaster. This is the first time I've even
heard anyone recommend taking OS updates for one OS product
and try to trick a different version into accepting it.
And I for sure wouldn't be editing my registry based on some
crap he posts here.