Ecnerwal

Default Very long musing about why we turn wood

(Arch) wrote:
aggravates somebody, but I hope it isn't divisive. Anyway, why did
_you decide to take up woodturning, and why do you think our craft so
endures as a satisfying and sharing hobby, even for our full time
professionals? Arch

Opportunity - in 1976 or so my grandfather moved, and his Shopsmith
moved from his house to our house, since it was a bit much for his new
apartment.

Sheer magic - the enduring wonder of making something smooth and
symmetric from any old hunk of firewood (or a more intentional blank).
The grain patterns that come out. The "neato" factor.