S S Law NH

Default Very long musing about why we turn wood

Arch wrote:

"Anyway, why did you decide to take up woodturning,..."

About 10 years ago, my wife and kids came to an impass as to what to buy the
"old man" for Christmas. I had everything for my extra-curricular
endeavors-fishing and golf, so they decided on woodworking tools. I had done
some relatively small projects over 25 years, but was pretty much clueless.
They went to Woodworkers Warehouse and bought a bandsaw, dove tail jig, Boss
sander and a Delta lathe - the inexpensive model. I had never SEEN a lathe
before, but I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy! That guy showed me
how to turn a simpple baseball bat. I was smart enought to know that I knew
just enough to kill (or seriously maim) myself, so I have since taken about 15
courses at Wodcraft Supply and Homestead Woodworking School in New Hampshire. I
am now able to work at one of my three (!) lathes with confidence that the only
damage I will do is to the piece of wood that I am attacking. I have turned
the entire spectrum of projects, but prefer turning bowls. All projects are
either given as gifts of, to the wife's dismay, kept in our home. (What the
hell, she created the monster!!)
I really enjoy the (up to now) relatively small amounts of time spent at the
lathe and I call them my AA (attitude adjustment) meetings! The idea of
instant gratification is paramount to me compared to other forms of
woodworking. I'm very fortunate to be able to go to New Brunswick, Canada, 3
b-4 times a uear to fish for atlantic salmon and return home with a Tahoe full
of birch and/or maple burls. Doesn't get mch better.
Now, at this stage of my life, I expect to be able to spend more time at the
lathe(s) and get more proficient and produce more volume.
After 10 years, if I never turned another piece of wood, it's been a great
run!!

Jay Sweeney in New Hampshire