Default Very long musing about why we turn wood

Arch wrote:
Anyway, why did
_you decide to take up woodturning, and why do you think our craft so
endures as a satisfying and sharing hobby, even for our full time
professionals? Arch

I got sucked in. About a dozen years ago i whacked my back (l4-5) and
was trying to find something that would stop the "discomfort". After
the operation (didn't work) I tried chiro (did help) but wanted
something to help between expensive treatments. I got one of the back
rollers, for WAY too much money, but it didn't fit properly. I picked
up a HF lathe for not much more than the roller and figured out how to
make a roller that fits a specific person rather than
one-size-fits-all. After I'd given rollers to all the nurses, family
and friends I still had a lathe, and the desire to do faceplate rather
than spindle work. TaDa.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work