Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default How do we know when 120V US socket strip can handle Europe 240V?

"mike"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Brian Gregory"

Yes. That's exactly what I am asking about.
The question is how I can be sure the US power strip can handle 240
volts.

Open it up and check there is nothing that might not like 240V in it.

** The OP simply has to make sure any varistors are rated at 275VAC,
suppression caps have the same voltage rating and are marked class X1 or
2 - oh, and neon lights must have series resistors of 180 kohms or
higher.

Varistors must only be wired from active to neutral, never to ground.

If in doubt, just remove the lot with side cutters.

Dead simple.

What's dead simple is that you should NEVER used stuff rated for a max of
120v on higher than 120V...PERIOD.

** My post was basically facetious - pointing out that one has to be expert
in identifying components like varistors and X1 caps in order to " .. check
there is nothing that might not like 240V in it ".

Emphasis on the DEAD.
Whether it works is irrelevant.
It's ill-advised, dangerous, prone to fire, illegal,
probably voids your insurance...and then, there's that dead part.

** Well, all the parts I mentioned would fail quickly if not rated for 240V
operation.

There might be a loud bang, but definitely no fire hazard.

Take it from someone who was completely burned out by the idiot
in the adjacent apartment.

** That must have been very distressing.

..... Phil