George

Default Very long musing about why we turn wood

I do it for instant gratification. With a table or cabinet, what begins with
great enthusiasm and proceeds with care always ends up a week or weeks later
with an "I'll be d*mned if I'm going to put another minute in this thing"
attitude.

While the furnace cement was curing this morning I took a scrap of cherry
and a chunk of birch firewood and whipped out another Christmas ornament.
While it has probably another five minutes of shellac rubbing left in it,
there's no doubt that it's hollowed enough to be light, and curly enough to
shimmer on someone's tree for years to come.

Now to get the filthy fire door with the new gasket mounted back on the
furnace so we can have heat tonight. Don't really want to put another
d*mned minute into the annual clean/oil/adjust on that thing.

"Arch" wrote in message
There are many reasons why we pursue woodturning so avidly. Some of the
best reasons don't apply to me and my reasons may not be typical.

Anyway, why did
_you decide to take up woodturning, and why do you think our craft so
endures as a satisfying and sharing hobby, even for our full time
professionals? Arch